We are looking for a person to join to our communications and public engagement team in LAC as a Content Officer and will be responsible for working with both country teams and external service providers to plan, produce, curate and share the best Oxfam relevant stories from Oxfam’s programs in LAC – be it through photos, video, written stories or in any other format. Stories that demonstrate people’s needs as well as the impact of Oxfam’s work:
• to be used in country, regional and/or affiliate media work, digital and social channels
• to acquire, convert, inform and retain supporters and curate our relationship with institutional donors
• to nourish and strengthen our fundraising and influencing work and build Oxfam’s brand profile
This position requires specialist knowledge and experience to strategically implement end-to-end content gathering projects. This includes designing and project managing story gathering trips; leading field teams of staff and contractors to gather raw content; processing and packaging content; curating a database of strong content from the region; and sharing this content with others in the Oxfam confederation. The position also includes capacity-building for staff in country teams in order to increase our capacity for strong grassroots storytelling in the longer term.
What will be your functions?
- to map, filter and prioritize content needs from LAC countries as well as interested affiliates
- to support internal teams in achieving greater clarity in their communications briefs
- to identify and research opportunities for gathering strong stories throughout LAC
- to design, lead and project manage content gathering assignments in the region, including all related logistics including risk management and relationships
- to commission work from external consultants and produce clear written briefs, Terms of Reference and contracts for photographers, videographers, filmmakers, interpreters, translators, talent agencies, music licensing companies and so on
- to act as creative producer for video projects, from idea to storyboarding, scripting and coordinating the process of filming, editing and post production
- to interview people, we work with, staff and local partners on the challenges they face and the impact of Oxfam’s work in their lives
- to obtain liaise with other staff to obtain relevant program information, e.g. dollar handles.
- to take high quality photos for use online and in print materials
- to write up interviews and reports from your trips
- to edit photos and video
- to gather content within the first hours of a significant emergency in the region
- to support country communications officers in producing their own content, gradually transferring your skills in the area of content planning, photography, videography and writing
- to upload collections of stories to, curate and maintain a database of available content from LAC
- to support country teams in uploading their content
- to act as a local focal point for Oxfam’s digital asset management in the region, working together with the global DAM manager
- on content gathering trips, must be available to work sometimes long and unsocial hours, including over weekends
- regular international travel of approximately 16 weeks per year (up to 4 weeks for one trip, although usually 1-2 weeks) is a requirement of the position
- includes working in insecure environments – staff need to abide by all agency security and safety protocols, policies and procedures and the Oxfam International Security Protocol
- Adherence to the principles of Oxfam and its values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights.
- Understanding and commitment to adherence to the principles of equity, diversity, gender, protection of children and health and well-being of team members.
What are we looking for?
- Fluent in English and Spanish
- Experience working in LAC countries
- Proven knowledge and professional experience of producing film and photography content, including taking and editing photos and shooting and editing video, preferably in a journalistic type of setting, or experience gathering content for NGOs.
- Proven experience of gathering compelling first-person testimony through interviewing, including using translators.
- A thorough understanding of what makes strong, newsworthy and engaging content – and how this looks different for different channels and audiences.
- Experience of project management in a communications context, with a track record of delivering high quality communication products on time, on budget and to brief.
- Excellent writing and photography skills
- Strong planning, time management, influencing, organizational and project management skills.
- Very strong interpersonal skills; proven ability to build credibility and strong cooperative relationships with key stakeholders, and work collaboratively across teams to deliver results.
- Knowledge of/interest in the Latin America social and political context and development issues.
- Knowledge of Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop and Premiere Pro.
- Degree qualification in Journalism
- Filming skills/experience
- Experience content gathering for an NGO
- Experience of travelling to or working in challenging places or circumstances and working with different cultures.
- Experience gathering content for fundraising communications.
- Knowledge of Adobe After Effects
- Security awareness and first aid training
What can we offer you?
- The opportunity to be part of a solid international organization and benchmark in the field of cooperation, humanitarian action and social justice.
- Type of contract: Defined – 1 year.
- Salary scale and competitive benefits with the labor market of the region.
- Integrate yourself in a respectful, safe work environment, open to dialogue and with opportunities for personal and professional growth.
How to apply:
If you are interested send an email with your updated CV, letter of motivation and salary claims, with reference in the subject of the mail: LAC / Content Officer to [email protected] before May 30th, 2019. Candidates The preselected ones can be contacted before the end of the indicated period.
Due to the number of applications that we usually receive, only those that indicate the reference LAC / Content Officer will be taken into account and only those persons who are preselected will be contacted, within a maximum period of 20 days after the deadline.